Home Request Info!


General Guidelines

As an international student, it is your responsibility to follow both institutional and federal regulations to avoid losing your F-1 student status and visa. Always contact the Office of International Admissions with any questions or concerns you might have about the following regulations:


Be a full-time student

  1. International students must maintain a full course of study (12 credit hours per fall and spring semesters)
  2. Follow university guidelines for chapel and class attendance.
  3. You are not required to enroll in classes during any summer session, but you do have the option to.
  4. When a student does not remain in status the I-20, visa, and I-94 are no longer valid.


Carry Health Insurance

  1. Health insurance is mandatory for international students in the U.S. Click here for information about Carson-Newman’s Health Insurance.
  2. All international students will be charged each semester for student health insurance. It will automatically be included in your bill at the beginning of the semester.


Know About Employment

  1. An F-1 student is legally eligible for on-campus employment with verification from their DSO (Designated School Official) in the Office of International Admissions.
  2. Students may not work more than 20 hours per week during the semester, but may work up to 40 hours per week during school breaks and summers.
  3. ELI students are not eligible for employment while at Carson-Newman.
  4. Off-campus employment may only be granted by U.S. Immigration under extreme financial circumstances and through the appropriate application process. Contact your DSO for information.


Keep Your Information and Documents Current

  1. Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months into the future.
  2. Carry your passport, I-94, and I-20 with you at all times!
  3. Apply for I-20 extensions at least 60 days prior to your I-20 completion date. Contact your Advisor and DSO for approval.
  4. Report any change of address to your DSO within 10 days of moving.


Prepare For Traveling and Transitions

  1. See your DSO at least one week before leaving the U.S. to obtain the appropriate signature on your I-20 and complete your travel clearance form to return.
  2. Once you leave the U.S. after your listed degree is completed, you may not reenter, even if your I-20 has not expired.
  3. When your degree is complete, you have a 60 day grace period to either: apply for a new degree program and I-20, leave the U.S., or begin Optional Practical Training.
  4. Always save your outdated travel documents for future reference.


This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.



Related Links

Rankings & Recognitions View All