Home Request Info!


On-Campus Employment

F-1 students are eligible for on-campus employment which is limited to 20 hours per week while classes are in session, and full-time (more than 20 hours/week) ONLY during official school breaks (winter break, spring break, summer vacation). ELI students are not eligible for employment


Step 1: Notify your DSO that you are looking for employment.

Step 2: Once you have a verbal agreement to be hired by someone, have your future employer complete the International Hiring Form (will be provided to you), and return this to your DSO. Your employer will also need to contact Financial Aid to verify employment.

Step 3: Get a letter of verification from your DSO to confirm your enrollment at Carson-Newman.

Step 4: Take your DSO letter of verification, passport, I-94, original Form I-20, and International Hiring Form to the Social Security Office to obtain your social security card.

**DO NOT begin working until you have received your social security card!**

Please refer to the Student Employment Handbook on the Financial Aid page for more details about the hiring procedures, required paperwork, student responsibilities, etc.

If you need transportation to the Social Security Office, please contact Phyllis Hoover at phoover@cn.edu or 865-471-4805.

 Please contact Nilma Stewart at nstewart@cn.edu for any questions or additional information.

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.

Related Links

Rankings & Recognitions View All