Request Degree Program Information

Clicking the "Submit" button above constitutes your express written consent to be called and/or texted by Carson-Newman University at the number(s) you provided, regarding furthering your education. You understand that these calls may be generated using automated technology.

M.Ed. - Practitioner Licensure (job-embedded)

 Financial Aid              Cost                            
 Requirements         APPLY NOW         Advising Coordinator


Carson-Newman provides an alternate pathway to licensure for those seeking to teach in high-need areas (e.g., math, foreign language, special education, ESL, science). The Educator Preparation Program (EPP) at Carson-Newman University is fully accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), and each initial licensure area was part of the most recent joint review conducted by CAEP and the Tennessee Department of Education.


For admission to the M.Ed. Job-embedded Practitioner Licensure Program, individuals must show proof of employment by a school system within a 50-mile radius of Carson-Newman University’s main campus and must meet admission requirements for the program. Carson-Newman makes a recommendation to the Tennessee Department of Education for appointment to the Practitioner License, which is valid for three years, while the practitioner completes coursework at Carson-Newman.


This license is available to individuals who have not completed traditional teacher education programs, but meet content knowledge requirements in one of two ways:

  • Have a bachelor’s degree with a major in the discipline in which the individual is going to be hired to teach (for example, math); or

  • Have passing scores on the appropriate content knowledge exam(s) for licensure.




College Rankings Best Baccalaureate College 2015 Yellow Ribbon Participating School